Women's Entrepreneurship Week 2016: In Other Words, Week of The #GirlBoss

10.20.2016

What makes a girl boss? Basically we take what we want when we want it. Life is out there throwing you some lemons so you better make some lemonade! And hey, if life isn't giving you anything do me a favor and go to the grocery store to get some. It is currently Women's Entrepreneurship Week and I was lucky enough to have Montclair host two events on campus. Read more to hear what I have learned this week, what I read for motivation, and a tip or two on how I plan on waking up a #GirlBoss every morning. Are you sitting down comfortable? Good because this is a long one...

#WEW2016

So, this congratulatory Girl Boss week started in New Jersey 3 years ago At Montclair State University and has spread globally! Now, there are over 12 countries celebrating women entrepreneurs including Greece and Italy. It was all thanks to a man who brought up the idea (let's have a round of applause for feminist men). 
We had the pleasure of having Linda Lacina, managing editor at entrepreneur.com, as our moderator and presented our 5 panelists: Barbara Agoglia who is the Vice President of American Express, Adenah Bayoh the Founder and CEO of Andenah Bayoh & Companies, Ruthi Bynre the founder of Zinn Graves & Fields, and Gail Mandel the President and CEO of Wyndham Destination Network, and last but not least, Debra Vizzi the CEO and President of Community Food Bank of NJ. These 5 women gave such moving answers to our questions and this what I have learned from each one of them: 
  • Adenah Bayoh: Her story just gives me chills because your everyday Girl Boss does not tend to be an African refugee. At a young age, her village was attacked by rebels and she fled with Grandma on foot for days to get away from the chaos. She states, "Business was a natural thing for me...My natural instinct was to go into business." Adenah words spoke pain and truth, especially when she mentioned how women need to start empowering other and that she would like to see "more women stand up for the women at the table that are being marginalized."
  • Barbara Agoglia: She studied the arts and came across an opportunity with American Express. She ended flourishing in the industry and realized that this was her calling. "The path is never clear and when it is, it'll get unclear but you'll figure it out," is something she said and it really spoke to me in a spiritual way. Just when I think I got my life figured out it becomes a mess but hey, I figure it out one way or another. When asked about a leader or boss that really inspired them Agoglia states, "She always asked the hardest questions" and that "as a leader people always look to you for your vision" and I could not help but be reminded of my first mentor, Engie Hassan. She always called me out on wrong doings, she always had vision, and she always had ambition. Thanks to her I believe I have potential to be the next boss.
  • Ruthi Byrne: Think Meryl Streep in "The Devil Wears Prada" and the Queen from "Princess Diaries" in one yet 10x wittier. She did not start her business because she needed to, considering she was economically very stable, but because she wanted to. "Do what you do well not something you can't do. You will never be able to do it well. If you can't hire someone, collaborate with someone," she says and I laugh. I have been so caught up on doing all these different things when I realized, maybe I should focus on one thing and master it. I can always get a photographer to shoot my pictures, a graphic designer to do edits, and an accountant to do my taxes however, no one can write for me. She even went ahead to give us a fashion tip, "As a women you are being judged by your looks...Do your best even if that means to hire a stylist...Like the french, buy the one expensive (as in good quality) piece and wear it!" Thanks #GirlBoss!
  • Gail Mendel: Hard-working go getter but a mother first. I could not relate with her as much but what she taught me was that sometimes you need to prioritize whether it is your health, family, or work. Maybe some people who worked with her thought, "why would she give up and quit to take her of her son, that is not ambition" leading her boss to give her flexibility but those people were wrong. A Girl Boss needs to know when to step down and when to rise up. "Kill them with confidence," she says when asked how to rise above.
  • Debra Vizzi: You see her so confident and strong but you will never know that she grew up under hard conditions, in foster care yet, she does not let that define her. In fact, it is one of the reasons why she joined a non-profit organization. Goes to show that any hardship in your life can be turned around into a positive but only if you let it.
These women gave me the reality check I was yearning for.

My Must Reads

Girl Boss by Sophia Amaruso


Obviously.... You had to know that this was an option after all the #girlboss comments. Sophia Amaruso did an amazing job at not only writing this book but using her own voice. She's like the big sister that forces you to join the debate team, who tells you "what's the worst that can happen". This isn't your typical self-help book but a journey put down on paper in the hopes that it could lead you into yours. Cannot wait for the Netflix series. *I currently own this if you want to borrow it :)*

Finding An Internship by Lauren Berger

This book saved me, just saying. Every up and coming girl boss needs this book in their library. The cover says it all: you need a resume, you need to network, and you need some experience so, YOU NEED THIS BOOK! If you are in college, visit her website (InternQueen). This is the first step you'll take in building yourself. Feel free to ask for my copy if you really want to read it (and it is signed, not bragging though).

Nice is Just A Place In France by The Betches

This book is not about being a bitch, it is about being a Betch, just to get the confusion out of the way. Now, if you read the back of the book you might find it tad foul but hey, that is life and they are just playing by the rules. When I am feeling not too sure of myself this is the book that gets me to Bad Betch Maddie and has me releasing blog posts. *I also have this book hehe*

Tips from Maddie (Me)


I would like to say I have come a long way and it has been a bumpy road. Some of you may know that my parents left to the Dominican Republic at the end of my freshman year and it has not been financially or emotionally easy for me. But I THINK I finally have some stability in my life become who I have always wanted to be, a #GirlBoss (yes, I use the word....again). Here is how I do it:
  1. Support your friends: If you empower your friends they will do the same for you. Your friend posted a new blog post? Read it. They released a new song on Souncloud? Listen to it. They have an art Gallery or Fashion Show? Go to it. Share and repost because support won't ruin your aesthetic. What goes around comes around.
  2. Experience new things: Even if you do not have money to travel, go to a coffeeshop or a new location in your town. I guarantee you that you will gain so many different creative aspects and vision that you can apply to your work. Have you ever read about a blogger who never leaves their home?
  3. Free Stuff are great: Go to free shows and events. I know Montclair State University always hosts free events that students (and non-students) can attend. The same probably goes to other schools. Get out there, you will never know what (or who) you will find.
  4. Read: I just gave you a list of books that will help you. Read them. I have one of each so there is no excuse, come and ask me to borrow one.

Well, ladies, Women's Entrepreneurship Week is coming to a close but that does not mean you have to stop celebrating yourself. There are a ton of girls our own age who wake up every day and work on their brand, just please get out there!

Let me know, in the comments, what is it that you do to empower yourself?

Check out these local #GirlBosses on Instagram
Deb Lee: @Deborahleephoto @causeshesagoddess
Nicole Pigott: @nicolepigott
Amanda Scarpaci: @amandascarpaci
Natalia Londono: @natalia_londono @auroras_collection
Engie Hassan: @engiestyle

Disclaimer: none of these images belong to me

No comments :

Post a Comment