Study Tips: Take It From A Junior

10.18.2016

I have finally mastered the art of getting my life together (my life is literally hanging on by a weak staple but still). It is finally my Junior year but I cannot help to feel like a Sophomore; and it probably has to do with the fact that I finally found out what works for me and what habits I need to let go of. I will be spilling the beans on how I efficiently plan out my study schedule, what materials I use, and how I use up my study breaks without actually procrastinating!

So, Syllabus week is over and the recovering of syllabus week is also over. Who am I kidding, the whole month of September was "Syllabus Week" with all the rush parties and on campus events, it nearly felt like college was just Neverland where you can only leave with debt. Tis' now October, the month we all love but college students hate because we now realize that the college semester is real and we actually have to study now, DUN DUN DUNNNNN. So now let's get down to business.

What You're Going to Need

The way I function is: If I love something I will constantly use it all the time and wear it out. Now, who actually likes studying? Not me. So I like to use school materials that I think are so cute or personalize my essentials. My #1 top priority for studying (other than my textbooks, ugh) is my Ban.Do 16-month planner that you can get at Francesca's or Bando.com. I got mine at my school bookstore for only $22. Usually planner's this cute can easily go for $40 like the Kate Spade one (which I also love but I am too broke).



You are also going to need 3 different color highlighters. I like to use one color for definitions, another one for important people, and lastly for general information I will deem important. I got these $3 highlighters at Target because they were cheap and so cute (but any highlighters will work). I recommend that you also keep sticky notes so you can place them on top of your text books to you can refer back to them with out having to lurk through all the pages to find one definition. Lastly you will need a ton of pencils and pens just in case you run out. I sometimes like to carry nice bags to class so I keep all my writing utensils in this Ban.Do pencil pouch just to prevent ruining the inside of my bags and it keeps everything together.


Last but not least, i recommend you use a binder instead of a notebook to write everything down and here is why: Print out all of your teachers slide or anything they post on their site that can help you study, then print them and insert them in the binder. Then you can pencil in anything else you need. You're welcome.
Oh, and you are going to need flash cards. Did you really study if you did not use flashcards? That is what I thought.


Plan it out


Now, it is time to whip out that fresh planner and actually start using it. In the calendar section, write out all the due dates and exam dates that are presented in all of your syllabi that your teachers gave you during Syllabus Week (remember those?). Then again, write them in your weekly sections. And again, if you have a dry erase or chalk board calendar hanging on your wall like I do, write down the dates you need for the current month. That way it is unavoidable the moment you wake up. Do not hate me but, you now have to jot down in your to do list the times you can study. I usually like doing it in between classes because an hour is just enough time to absorb some information. I recommend studying a little bit every other day. For example, today I will study for General Humanities today but I will study Planet Earth tomorrow. Then again, I'll study for General Humanities on Thursday. Your brain needs a break sometimes so plan out your study dates accordingly (or however works for your brain). Great, now it is going to haunt you until you get down and studying.

Study Space


Everyone studies differently. I cannot study with my friends who are of all different majors but I might study with someone who is also a Business Marketing Major; study with someone who understands your pain. However, I usually study in my cubicle of a dorm. As small as it is, it is cozy and that is what I need to focus. The room should be well lit so you do not get sleepy, have everything you need on you (I study on my bed because my back hurts, so my bed is full of crap) so you do not get up and walk around, and have some snacks with you. Typically, I prefer a space where I feel most comfortable in because it inspires me and gives me motivation.


Take A Break (I Gotta Get my Plan Through Congress)


Do not be an Alexander Hamilton. We are not superhuman like he was. Some of us cannot write a series of 85 essays known as the Federalists. Your body and your mind cannot stay in one place for too long so you earned a break. However, do not go out and have a mocktail to come back and study 2 days later, that is not how a break works. Remember when I said we need flash cards? YES! We found a use for them. Shorthand or abbreviate any important information you need onto the flashcards and take them with you where ever you go. You can take them on the treadmill, to dinner, even a date who cares! I'll put these bad boys in my bad and go with my friend to get some green juice (or coffee if I'm desperate). When you come back you'll be able to absorb more information into your Einstein brain.

I would love to hear how you guys study, so comment below :)


Disclaimer: All these photos were taken by me except the 7th and 8th one (it is a stock photo). Thank you

No comments :

Post a Comment