90's Baby: When Your Childhood Makes a Comeback

3.24.2016



This is not a drill! Bring down the old box of clothes from your attic because there are a couple of things you are going to want to bring out!
90's is making a major come back with chokers, brown lips, FILAS, jean jackets, and t-shirt jerseys. 


You may be thinking, "Who is she to be talking about the 90's when she was born in the middle of the era" but to be quite frank, appreciating an era's style has nothing to do with having to lived in it. 

In October 2015, I wanted to take a blast to the past with a new shoot. As I did my research and looked at my surroundings I asked myself, "Did the 90's ever leave"?
Brown/mauve lips. Denim on Denim. Extreme color-blocking. Minimalistic uptown girl to urban princess of Belair. Let's take a look of our (meaning my*) favorite looks:

Fashion


Festival season is literally right around the corner and this is the most iconic Coachella look. Every trendy gal will try shadowing this Gwen Stefani, extra terrestrial, look. Halter tops can be found mostly anywhere but my go-to shop for camis are: Forever 21,OmWeekend, NastyGal, and Gypsy Warrior


I would like to take the moment to point out that this is very Moschino SS '16 (so that means we're doing something right). And if you have not taken the time to see their runway looks here is one of them:
Lo so! Lo so! Some of us are afraid of color but to be honest IT IS SPRING for crying out loud. But if you are like my dear friend Sharon, who cringes at the idea of a neon bralette, do not invest $2,000 on a Moschino bomber jacket. Opt for a bright halter bralette and pair it with a mesh top and white cuffed jeans. Also, NastyGal carries so many luxe goodies for the low-low if that is something you want to invest in. If you are more adventurous I would recommend you checkout @OmWeekend on instagram and check out their shop too! 
Now, here is every 90's teen/tween fashion icon, who I did not appreciate until I got older. This denim vest can basically be paired with anything from a flowing printed dress to a turtleneck ribbed shirt and a scuba skirt. 
The second look is definitely an Alexa Chung necessity in her closet. However, overalls can be tricky for us curvy gals so I always recommend that if this is a look you want, try going to the store and trying them on. Even though they run like pant sizes sometimes the top will not cooperate with you. 
Moving onto the third look, I am starting to think that Rachel Greene is Brandy Melville's style muse because you can get all these looks (especially the last one) from Brandy. Recreate this look by pairing your cropped turtle neck with high-waisted shorts and a flannel tied around the wait. Feeling "risky", then throw on some thigh highs. Feeling lazy? Throw on some converse. 
And lastly, I bet you $10 can recreate this look by looking deep into your PJ drawer because in this picture, we are all Rachel Greene.

Beauty



The brown/mauve lippie is making a major comeback. I sometimes find myself becoming the collector of all nudes/mauves/brown shades of liquid lipsticks (love them!). Lately, NYX's Liquid Lingerie has been selling some bomb.com lippies and I command that you all check them out.
Especially, "Beauty Mark" since I find it to be a similar dupe to Kylie Jenner's True Brown. Here are some swatches of my favorite found on Samfbeltran.com:

Let me know what you guys think about Liquid Lingerie. TTYL :)

Photo Credits

Top
Photographed by: @kendallpicone
Styled by: Me
Model: Scarlett Nuñez
Dress: FILAS Urban Outfitters
Jean Jacket: Vintage
Shoes: Adidas "Superstars"

*disclaimer* all the images above were found on google images and do not belong to me

No comments :

Post a Comment